Saturday 2 May 2015

The Shadows of the Khaki and the Black Law

You are always there
In groups on sun-scorched roadsides,
On rain-beaten days too
And late at night when the city sleeps.

You point your guns at us menfolk.
But your eyes turn towards the womenfolk
And I know you prefer the younger lot.
I can’t help but ask you:
“Are we men too ugly for your eyes?”
Worry not, I never asked you to be gay.

Do look at us with your eyes for once
And not always with your guns, please;
Because guns don’t wink or smile at us!
Or you can teach them that too if you think 
you can.

One Meitei kavi1 once wrote:
“In this present Manipur,
To be dressed in phanek only saves life.
What do you say, my friend peace keepers?
Let all the men wear phanek?!”2

I’m a student.
A teenager.
A hard working farmer.
An innocent citizen.
A father.
A son, a brother.

I’m a human just like you.
Or, if I may ask, are you not one?
I try to breathe and smile a bit
And I know it’s my right to live.

While you snuff out my life,
Tears are falling from the sky 
as if they would drown the valley.
My mother is still waiting for me
And my father is searching 
for bits of my clothing everywhere 
like a mad man.

You take me to dark alleys 
and you shoot me in the head
And throw over my dead body a gun 
I didn’t even buy.
Why do you love to make me 
your target practice?

Is the Government too poor 
to buy you some cardboard sheets to 
shoot at?
You could’ve asked before you shot me 
as I have so many in my
backyard.

Or, maybe, was it necessary for you to punish me 
for not committing any crime?
Yes, in Kangleipak, people must commit a crime to live 
or else, they would 
end up dead.

O gods and goddesses,
where have you gone?
Are you, too, afraid to live in this land
like me,
now that you have run away?
But I heard that you are bullet-proof and super powerful.
Or is everything a lie, a deception,
a betrayal, a joke?

Yet the shadow keeps on following me…
Maybe it is the only truth!


© Rajkumar Panthoiren

References:-
    1. The Meitei kavi is Thangjam Ibopishak.
        2. (the translated piece in quote) Jiten Nongthombam. The Mind of the Middle Class and Modern Manipur Literature in Post-colonial period. In the Rise of Middle Classes in Manipur, ed. Gangmumei Kamei, 2002. p. 162, New Delhi: Akansha Publishing House


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.